Acumen EMS™ Installation Instructions: Section 2 - Delta + Tantalus w/ Acumen EMS
2.0 Acumen EMS™ + Tantalus Resiliency Controller kit of parts
Specific to the Delta Electronics BESS this EMS will be integrated with, you should have received the following parts directly from Energy Toolbase Software, Inc.
Installers may need to supply shielded communications cabling, additional twisted pair CT extension cabling (when necessary), DIN Rail, and some mounting bolts or screws.
2.1 Mounting EMS PC's
The site controller comes with a DIN rail mount for a secure and quick mounting of the PC. The physical location of the PC installation should provide reasonable protection from environmental conditions including water egress, humidity, and direct sunlight. Although the device is rated for extreme temperatures, providing a sheltered location will prevent undue damage and accelerated aging of the system.
When installing the Acumen EMS™ with the Delta Aux Power & Control cabinet, there is a manufacturer approved location where the computer can be easily installed and configured. Delta and Energy Toolbase have collaborate and agreed upon an established methodology. There will be two PC's to be mounted, one is the Acumen EMS™, the other the Tantalus Resiliency Controller. These can both be mounted directly to the panel located to the left of the SPD104 terminal block (please refer to Acumen_Delta+Tantalus Wiring Diagram & Schematic - EMS_4 for more detail). From this location all EMS field wiring should be accessible.
2.2 EMS PC's power source
The EMS units will require a 9-24V/ 20W power source which can be supplied off a direct line into the power block terminal or via a manufacturer supplied power cord. Please consult the PC manufacturer instructions shipped with the industrial PC.
The source should be resilient and fed through a UPS when available on site to preserve site control in the event of a power outage during system operation. A source of at least 20 watts is recommended for resilient operation of the system.
With the installation of the Delta Aux Power & Control cabinet, a resilient and suitable power source is available via one of the TBDC 24V fuses provided. The TBDC 24V terminal block is powered by FU139 and is back up by UPS. (please refer to Acumen_Delta+Tantalus Wiring Diagram & Schematic - EMS_4 for more detail).
2.3 Mounting eGauge 4015 meter
Please review Acumen EMS Installation Instructions, Section 3, for details on eGuage installation. Within the Delta Aux Power & Control cabinet a manufacturer approved location is again available for a clean and neat installation with the Delta ESS.
Along the side left wall of the controls cabinet a reserved space is available for suitable mounting and field wiring of the eGauge meter. If DIN rail has not been previously installed, installer must mount using best practices to ensure a proper seal maintains the cabinets outdoor rating (please refer to Acumen_Delta+Tantalus Wiring Diagram & Schematic - EMS_4 for more detail).
2.4 Local device networking connections
Once the Acumen EMS™, Tantalus PC, and meter have been installed the PC's both need to be connected to the internet and all devices need to be connected to the local device communications network (please refer to Acumen_Delta+Tantalus Wiring Diagram & Schematic - EMS_2 for more detail).
- Connect the PC’s to the Internet. Use a CAT-6 cable to connect from ethernet port LAN1 on each of the PC units to the “INTERNET NETWORK SWITCH” described on EMS_4. Site internet will land on the network switch providing site internet access.
- Connect the PCS to the Device Network Switch. Locate CNJ16, RJ-45 terminal, on the J-board inside the PCS cabinet. The ethernet output from the CNJ16 terminal will then connect to the “DEVICE NETWORK SWITCH” shown on EMS_4.
- Connect the Battery Cabinet to Network Switch. Locate Moxa MODBUS Gateway in Battery Cabinet, RJ-45 terminal. The ethernet output from the RJ-45 terminal will then connect to the “DEVICE NETWORK SWITCH” shown on EMS_2.
- Connect PV inverter communications. If the PV inverters used onsite provide a Modbus TCP connection, use a CAT-6 cable to connect the PV inverter comms output to the “DEVICE NETWORK SWITCH”. If the PV inverter(s) do not have Modbus communication, please consult with Energy Toolbase for further instruction. Some older PV inverters may not have the ability to connect to the Tantalus control for advanced control purposes.
- Connect the meter to the LAN. Use a CAT-6 cable to connect from the meter ethernet port to a port on the “DEVICE NETWORK SWITCH” inside the Delta Aux Power & Control cabinet.
1) Additional meters for circumstances like difficult cabling runs (+300ft.) can be supported by the EMS. Please consult Energy Toolbase Inc. for further instruction when installing
2) Acumen EMS Installation Instructions: Section 4 outlines local networking/firewall requirements for device communications.