Current NEM customers
- Current NEM 1.0 and 2.0 customers are unaffected until the 20-year term expires, at which they’re transferred to the NEM then in effect.
- Current NEM 1.0 and NEM 2.0 customers can voluntarily opt into NEM 3.0 and qualify for a lock-in period (see below).
- NEM 1.0 customers will be transitioned to the new rate options (if “A-10” with PG&E now, they will switch to “B-10”) no later than December 2027.
- A current NEM 1.0 or 2.0 customer can add a battery and not lose their legacy status.
- Increasing the existing system size up to 10% or 1kW, whichever is greater, is allowed without moving to the successor tariff.
- A current NEM 1.0 customer may increase the system size and be switched to NEM 2.0, but it will not reset the grandfathering period.